I can't believe it! The cot quilt is finally finished and even though it didn't quite go the way I thought it would, I am happy with the end result:
The design turned out exactly like it was supposed to but my plans for using an old, unused quilt for the middle didn't work so well. Luckily my mother in law, who does a fair bit of quilting, came up on the weekend and was able to help me think of other ways to do it.
Basically the problem I had was that when the 'quilt sandwich' was put together it was too thick for the sewing machine, which essentially made the stitches uneven when I sewed (even when I used a walking foot).
The solution we came up with,which actually worked out better anyway, was to quilt the front with a layer of Pellon behind it and then make the whole thing into a quilt cover which could then be stuffed with the reclaimed quilt.
The upside of finishing the quilt this way, is that it can be used as both a summer and winter quilt by pulling the middle insert out during the summer months and stuffing it back in for the winter.
The finished quilt looks like this once it is in the cot:
I did learn a lot about myself doing this project, like the fact that I don't think I will be taking up quilting as a hobby any time soon! The one good thing to come out of this project, however, is that I noticed a dramatic improvement in my sewing skills compared to when I first started the blog. I think that my skills would definitely be in the 'intermediate' range now and that gives me inspiration to perhaps try some more difficult sewing projects!
Here are the links to the other posts on the cot quilt: