Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Project #20 - Cot Valance

I have a lovely cot (actually a beautiful cot) set up for our baby, but there is a problem. With the mattress in the 'newborn' position you can see everything in the drawer underneath - yukky poo poo!

A cot valance would fix the problem and cover up the contents of the drawer, however I wanted a plain white one and could only find ones with animals or stripes retailing for over $60!

I managed to find a plain white one for sale online but it looked cheap and at $20 plus postage and handling, it was not a price I wanted to pay (especially since it was also second hand). So, of course, I had a great idea to make it myself - so that's exactly what I indend to do!

On the weekend I rumaged through my fabric stash and found a piece of medium-weight white material with a fine stripe through it - absolutely perfect for the drop of the valance. The problem came, though, looking for the material that would act as the lining (the bit that sits between the cot base and the mattress). There was nothing at all suitable in the fabric stash!

Off I went to Lincraft and had a look on the remnants table to see if there was something there. I was about to give up when I stumbled across a piece of terralene curtain material. A lot of the valances I had seen had used a similar mesh type fabric so that it was breathable, so I thought that this would suit perfectly.

Armed with the fabric, I am now ready to make a start on the valance. I am both excited and scared about tackling this project as it uses a new technique I have not attempted before - gathering! The last time I attempted to gather some fabric it was a disaster to say the very least. But these days I have more patience, so I am hoping that will be enough to get me through to the end of this project.

Here is a link to the other post on making the cot valance:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.