Well... it worked, and here is a picture of it completed. It's a cute little ruffle apron for her to wear while she's baking:
It was a lot easier than I had anticipated, which is quite an achievement since I made up the pattern myself. I also found the gathering wasn't as hard to do this time round as it seemed to be when I made the cot valance.
There are a couple of things I would do differently if I were to make it again (which I definitely plan on doing):
- I would make the ruffles more 'rufflier' (if that's even a word!)
- I would put the ruffles closer together as you can almost see the tops of the underneath ruffles
- I would try and keep the colours of the fabric used for the ruffles similar as I had to sew the green ruffle on with green cotton, so from the back of the apron (which is pink) it looks a little bit dodgy.
- I would buy myself a ruffler foot for my sewing machine (oh hell yeah!)... actually, I think I might buy one of those anyway lol.